Confident you’ve matched each stage direction to its respective Shakespeare play? Here are the answers:
- Exit, pursued by a bear – The Winter’s Tale
- He stifles her – Othello
- Falls on ROMEO’s body, and dies – Romeo and Juliet
- Thunder and lightning. Enter three Witches – Macbeth
- Opening the leaden casket – The Merchant of Venice
- Gets into the basket; they cover him with foul linen – The Merry Wives of Windsor
- The cock crows – Hamlet
- Re-enter PUCK, and BOTTOM with an ass’s head – A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- On a ship at sea: a tempestuous noise of thunder and lightning heard – The Tempest
- To an asp, which she applies to her breast – Antony and Cleopatra
How’d you do?
10/10: Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them! (You were probably just born great. Nice work!)
7-9: O wonderful, wonderful, and most wonderful wonderful, and yet again wonderful, and after that, out of all whooping! You’re pretty dang good at this Shakespeare stuff.
4-6: The course of true love never did run smooth, and neither did your quiz results. But hey, you could have done worse! Thanks for playing.
Less than 4: Your homework: go read some Shakespeare plays.
Had fun? Quiz your friends and find out which of you is the ultimate Shakespeare mastermind! (If they beat your score, please don’t smother them with a pillow or stab them in the Senate.)